Personal Essay #2 First Draft

 


While staring at this prompt my mind drew a blank; “What is the best thing about you?” The question was so open-ended and vague and yet I still couldn’t think of an answer. I have no defining personality traits, no innate virtue, and I’m not blessed with ultra-intelligence or superhuman abilities. I started to think more broadly about what I really was good at. Of the activities I thought of, I realized I was inherently bad at all of them. However, I was dedicated to them, and kept with that interest of mine to eventually upgrade my skills. I think one of my best qualities is my ability to pursue my passions and work hard to improve them. I always look to learn more about, and improve in the things I’m interested in.

I think this quality of  delving deep into what I’m interested in has found success in many areas of my life. A particular area that I can think of is Quiz Bowl, one of my favorite activities. In it, two teams compete to answer questions from academic areas like history, science, and literature. As I found myself taking a growing interest in the activity, I put my efforts into it through a concentrated effort. I dedicated much of my free time towards improving at Quiz Bowl in a short burst. When I started out, I had barely any knowledge base.  I made thousands of flashcards and poured in hours upon hours of reading to improve my proficiency. By channeling my interests in a game centered around academic interests, I was able to excel at it and enjoy it even more than when I first started.

Another example of when my perseverance with my interests helped me was with soccer. My sophomore year I decided to play during the spring season after having not played since 7th grade. I loved playing, but I was not good. I was slow, inept, and it was evident that I wasn’t comfortable on the field. However, because I enjoyed it so much, I was insistent on improving to the point where I was confident in my abilities. With Elliot, our NBA sized goalkeeper departing for college, there was an open spot on the team. I, who stood about a foot shorter, worked hard to improve over the summer and eventually filled that slot on the squad for the fall season. 

Issues tend to arise through this so-called “quality” though. I often find myself distracted by Wikipedia rabbit holes on niche subjects that will never help me in my practical life, I many lose track of my present goals and what it is I am supposed to be doing. Because I love to dive so deep into what it is that intrigues me, there are times when it can eat up parts of my schedule. While I view one of my strengths as the ability to be perseverant in pursuing my goals and following my interests, I need to learn to balance my pursuit of the fun things in life so I can deal with the tasks which are less exciting.


Comments

  1. I really like the quality that you picked (working hard on your passions), and I think your essay does a great job to support this thesis. I was suprised to hear that you consider yourself "inherently bad" at Quiz Bowl because to me it seems as if you have a naturally great memory. You are a bit over a hundred words below the limit, so I would reccomend adding a specific story from soccer or Quiz Bowl. I also think the intro would be more interesting if you just removed the first sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the format of the blog post and how you go "full circle" in your blog post: first critiquing yourself, then describing a good trait, and finally returning tp the drawbacks of working hard on your passions. While reading the post, it felt like you were being too harsh on yourself at times and not really just poking fun at yourself. If I could add anything to your post, I would try to add a few humorous bits to "spice up" your essay. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the beginning of your essay because it seemed like we were following you in the moment as you explored the prompt. I think one thing you could improve on, though, is the conversational tone. Your essay is relatively informal, but I don't really get the sense that you are talking to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your brutal honesty in the first paragraph, although I do believe it is a bit harsh on yourself. I think it was relatable in the way that everyone has some aspect of themselves that they like but can also be spun as a negative as you did in the last paragraph. I really enjoyed reading your essay and I think you did really well with this personal essay.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Blog Post #5

Personal Essay Blog Post #4

Personal Essay Blog Post #6